ポッドキャスト「英語で国内ニュース」の原稿を掲載しています

Spotify   

【特別回】英語で国内ニュース 2026年5月7日(木)


2026年5月7日(木)「特別回」の原稿スクリプト

---


サラ: All right, Chris. Golden Week is over. Many people are back to work and school. Have you heard of the word "May Sickness"?


クリス: Yes, I have. People feel tired and lose their motivation in May, right? It is very interesting because, in the United States, we have a similar word: "Spring Fever". But the meaning is completely the opposite!


サラ: The opposite? What does "Spring Fever" mean?


クリス: After a long, cold winter, the weather gets warm. So, people feel super energetic! We get so excited and want to go outside. We cannot focus on our work because we are too happy.


サラ: Wow, that is totally different! In Japan, April is the start of the new school and business year. People try too hard in April. So when May comes, their energy is completely gone.


クリス: That makes sense. It is a big environmental change. And Sara, this is not just about feeling tired. It is a serious social issue. According to a new 2026 survey by Mynavi, about 20 percent of workers have experienced May Sickness.


サラ: 20 percent? That is one in five people!


クリス: Exactly. And the most surprising part is... about 40 percent of those people thought about changing their jobs because of it.


サラ: 40 percent! That is a huge number. I guess the stress of the new environment is heavier than we think. We really need to take care of ourselves and find easy ways to relax.



---



サラ: When I am tired from May Sickness, I don't want to cook. So, I always go to Konbini. They are lifesavers.


クリス: I totally agree. Japanese Konbini are amazing. Did you know they are growing incredibly fast? Over the past 20 years, the number of stores increased by 40 percent, to about 56,000 stores.


サラ: 56,000 Konbini stores? That is a lot! No wonder they are everywhere!


クリス: Yes. And total annual sales grew by 75 percent, reaching 11.5 trillion yen!


サラ: 11.5 trillion yen!? They are not just small shops anymore. They are a massive social infrastructure, aren't they?


クリス: Yes absolutely. And they are becoming high-tech, too. Have you heard of "Real and Tech LAWSON"? LAWSON has futuristic stores in Tokyo and Osaka.


サラ: Real and Tech? What is that?


クリス: They use AI and robots. For example, there is an AI digital signage. If you stand in front of a shelf and look confused, the AI notices it and shows you recommendations on the screen!


サラ: Really? It watches me?


クリス: Yes! And if you try to buy a bento box, the screen might say, "If you buy green tea with it, you get a 50 yen discount!" It is like the Konbini is talking to you.


サラ: Wow! That is super smart and efficient. But you know, I am more interested in Konbini sweets. I love them so much.


クリス: Ah, your sweet tooth! Actually, foreign tourists love them, too. Recently, a specific gummy candy called "Chocotto Gummy", especially the Shine Muscat flavor, became a massive hit among tourists. Thanks to social media, sales jumped more than 10 times in six months!


サラ: 10 times! I completely understand why. Japanese Konbini gummies are the best. You know... when I see them I just cannot resist buying them!


クリス: Hahaha, I understand how you feel. Konbini is so convenient, fast, and high-quality, isn't it?



---



サラ: So, Konbini is so convenient. But maybe things are moving too fast and too efficient... do you feel that sometimes Chris?


クリス: I do! Sometimes maybe our society is moving too fast.


サラ: Right, I guess that is why young people are loving "Retro" things now. Have you heard the word "Emo-shohi" or Emo-consumption?


クリス: Emo-consumption? You mean buying things that are emotional?


サラ: Yes! Buying experiences that move your heart. For example, old digital cameras and film cameras are super popular among Generation Z.


クリス: Oh, you mean "使い捨てカメラ" ? This is like when we talked about cassette tapes before! Digital music is too perfect, so some people like cassette tapes. Is it the same for photos?


サラ: Exactly! Smartphone photos are too clear and perfect. Old cameras take photos that are a little blurry and dark. But that "imperfection" makes the photos look warm and emotional.


クリス: I see. And with film cameras, you have to wait to see the photos. You cannot check them immediately.


サラ: Right. The waiting time is part of the fun. But here is the news: film is getting really expensive! A basic 36-exposure film costs almost 2,000 yen now in 2026.


クリス: 2,000 yen?!


サラ: Yes. That is about 50 yen per photo! Every time you press the button, it costs 50 yen.


クリス: Wow. Smartphone photos are completely free, but they pay 50 yen just for one picture. That proves they are buying the "experience", not just the photo.


サラ: Buying "experience". That is a lovely way to put it.


クリス: Speaking of retro experiences, I absolutely love "Junkissa", the old-style Japanese cafes.


サラ: Oh, what is "Junkissa"?


クリス: Well, originally, "Junkissa" meant a cafe that did not serve alcohol. But nowadays, it usually refers to an old-style Japanese cafe.


サラ: Oh, an old-style Japanese cafe! Actually, I went to one in Asakusa just last month.


クリス: Oh really? How was it?


サラ: The atmosphere was amazing. The velvet sofa, the stained glass windows... it felt like stepping back in time. But... I had a huge problem.


クリス: Let me guess... Cash only?


サラ: Yes!! I didn't have any cash on me! I usually pay with my smartphone. My friend had to pay for my coffee. It was so embarrassing!


クリス: Haha! I know that panic! You definitely have to check the payment first. But you know, that old-fashioned feeling is part of the charm.


サラ: That is true. I loved that cream soda and a firm pudding!


クリス: Haha, they have retro-style sweets. They are nice, aren't they? For me, the best part is that hand-drip coffee. A lot of "Junkissa" serve really good coffee.


サラ: Oh, I know you love coffee.


クリス: Yes, drinking a great cup of coffee in that quiet space... time really stops there.


サラ: That is wonderful. It is a good remedy for May Sickness. Fast Konbini is great, but slow Junkissa is also necessary for our hearts.



(ニュース原稿は夕方までの情報で作成しております。速報性はありませんのでご了承ください。ニュースの内容には細心の注意を払っておりますが、正規の報道機関ではありませんので、内容に誤りがある可能性があります。ご了承ください。重要な内容は念のために再度ご確認ください)

ご意見ご要望などございましたら、こちらのフォームからお気軽にご連絡ください。


コメント